Game Design

 Game Design

Reading about game design was interesting, it really got me thinking whats is classed as a game. There are so many different ways and definitions of a game. For example, is monopoly a game ?? Is tic tac toe a game? Are they all games ? it really got me thinking about what a game really is and how I would define a "game"

It was also interesting to read about game development and the process of how a game can be made. IT mentioned how games are all kind of similar and there very little people who think outside the box when it comes to game development. The text also mentioned an interview that was conducted between 2005 and 2007 and they interviewed some game developers and how they come up with the ideas for a game

IT was interesting to hear about how each interviewee had their different ways of coming up with an idea for the game if that was in their head or in the shower and if they prefered to work in large groups of smaller groups. It varies per game but coming up with game ideas is not so easy, first you have to find inspiration whether that's from tv or a book and then you have to pitch that idea to more people and there's a chance that you could produce a game that already exists.



Comments

  1. I also found it very interesting reading about how games are developed and their internals are designed. I find it amazing how many games are created so similarly by so many "in the box" thinkers, that said somehow this replications seem to do quite well year after year. It was also quite thought provoking how different game designers get their creative juices flowing in their work space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam, Its Ellen :) I really like your blog post, your views and opinions on the "Game Design" readings are very interesting and relatable. I agree that coming up with a game idea is not easy at all let alone coming up with four, I found myself just thinking of games that already exist its hard to have an original idea. Cant wait to see the game you create, Goodluck !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam! I like how you gave your own thoughts and questions about what is classed as a game. Idea generation is incredibly hard especially since we're constantly working away on our own projects and tasks. I feel like working in smaller groups gives us so much more opportunity to elaborate on small ideas instead of having a big groups. - Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sam, these readings got me thinking a lot about the word 'Game' too and what the right definition really is. I'd count those as games, I think it's more of a cultural understanding thing but is also kinda personal. I think fundamentally there are a similarities between most games when you really break them down. I thought the interviews with the game developers were really interesting too and how different each person's process was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam just read your blog post there and it was really good. I agree coming up with a game idea was very hard for me it took me a while so I had to do a lot of research to get inspiration from other games I have previously played.
    Best of luck this semester, hope your game goes well.
    -mia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment