Game Idea Research

For this week's tasks, we have to choose one of our game Ideas last week. I decided to go with my last idea because it seems like a game I will be able to achieve the standard I want. For this game I want you to be able to reach point A to B with obstacles in your way without doing any damage to the player along the way.

One gaming mechanic that I would like to incorporate is a grading system at the end of the levels to show the player how much damage they have done and so they can redo it to try to get a perfect score. I would like to have a reward system for how well you do best on your grading system. For example, 100% = 100 coins, etc which will help you unlock new characters or vehicles to choose from. 

For the characters, you can choose from id like each different character to be able to take on a different amount of damage so it is easier for the player to get a perfect score meaning more rewards which means happy player. I was also thinking about incorporating daily tasks to bring the player back and play for more and for longer until they unlock all characters.

I also mentioned in my last blog post that I would like a crossy road theme to the game I think it's a really simple look and I feel like I would be able to produce something similar and that I would be happy with.

https://www.gamedesigning.org/learn/basic-game-mechanics/ 

After reading this website I realised there are some elements to my game that I didn't think about like the difficulty and the game over scene if the player does too much damage to their character and they can't continue unless they restart. I also think it's a good idea to show a health bar somewhere on the screen so the player realises how much HP they have left before they get the "Game Over" screen. It also gives me an insight into the difference between game mechanics and gameplay. The article is full of gaming terms and different types of gaming language they can help which I think can help everyone. There's also a mention of some annoying gaming mechanics.

https://gameanalytics.com/blog/14-best-hyper-casual-gameplay-mechanics.html

This was also helpful to hear about different mechanics so I know which ones could be possible contenders for my game such as turning mechanic and timing mechanics. There are also many other mechanics that could help other people when creating their games. the turning mechanic can be used if I want to make the path you are following turn and curve. The timing mechanic can be used with obstacles in the way of the player that they have to wait to move out of the way before they can progress.

I also like the thought of adding different types of game modes instead of having one casual game mode. I would also like the player to be able to pick their difficulty before they start the game. Some other game modes that I could ass is everything being sped up or a game mode where it sees how long you can go before your character gets completely destroyed.

I would like the game to be a more casual game with the option of making more competitive and trying to beat your last score to make it more competitive for those who like a more competitive game than a casual one.







Comments

  1. Hey Sam, was just reading your brainstorm for this game and then I came onto this, love love love the idea of the game, I’m not much of a gamer myself but these are always the type of games I would play. What if you could have someone or something chasing the car which would cause suspense and adrenaline for the player to keep them on edge? I wonder if there is anything you could do with the obstacles in the middle of the road, could you have hidden/ secret gems inside boxed that you need to open with the car that will cause it damage? Just an idea as it remind me of something from Maria Kart!
    I wish you all the best with the game anyways, sound so interesting and it would be something I would play! Hope you have no problems along the way! Good luck 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sam, just wanted to leave a comment to say that i really enjoyed this blog, the think the crossy road type feel is interesting, Have you decided what of gaming objects you might use for example car, animals or even food items, over i think you have a solid direction in mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam, I like how you have decided on a game idea that is achievable within the time frame we have and you've taken into account your level of coding for your game, as you said that your hoping to design a game like Crossey road which is a great game, but it's a very basic design. I think your example is good because it shows you are not striving to create a game that you won't be able to code by the deadline, that your being realistic with yourself. Did you consider taking inspiration from other games similar to Crossey Road because it might give you some more basic ideas for how you'll pick a theme for the design. One suggestion would be that maybe trying to add all the small icons such as a health bar in the game might take time away from your game functionality, that's just something to consider keeping an eye on your time management.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment