Project Alpha

 This week we have to present our alpha and how the progress we are making is going. From last week I've made a few extra advancements in my game I added the obstacles that I planned to add this week and I also added the customer to who you deliver the car.

My game is basically done I just need to add a few finishing touches and how to make my car collide with the obstacles that are placed in its way. I'm not sure how to go about it but I'm sure ill figure it out eventually. I also need to add an invisible wall so the vehicle cant just drives off the side of the map and will stay on the road. 

This week I've found it a bit more frustrating on the project than in previous weeks. I've tried many different ways to code some stuff and it hasn't worked so I had to get some assistance from youtube videos. For example, I was struggling to make every car to move without being in control of it. I was also struggling to find a way to make the vehicle to collide with the other cars and how to add a grading system for the end of the game. 

I do think that when making this game I thought id be able to do a lot more than I am able to do so I had to get rid of some features that I mentioned in my GDD which is frustrating because I didn't want to change a lot for my game. I think I gave myself more work than I was capable of and if I did want to achieve what I set out myself it would take weeks. With all my other assignments I just wouldn't been able to focus on each one of them and would've had to spend most of my time on this assignment.

The feature that I had to get rid of was the choice of vehicle I would have any idea where to start for this as we didn't learn it in any of the tutorials we've been given over the past few weeks. I did have to get rid of some of the obstacles because there were no assets in the store for some of the obstacles I did mention. The grading system I was gonna use at the end of the game depending on how much damage you do to the car is also a feature I really didn't want to get rid of but I just have no idea of how to achieve that for my script to know what grade the player needs. Finally the choice of having more game modes, I feel like this is definitely possible but too time-consuming and would've been rushed with all my other assignments.

It is frustrating to have to cut some features short but I just don't know how to achieve some and they would take too much time to complete. If I had more time maybe some of the features could be possible but to have this project done in time I have to cut some of them short. I really am happy with how my game looks and my ability to use scripts and how they all work in my game. I do think there are some features that can replace the ones I had to get rid of such as collecting coins and once you collide with one of the cars you have to start from the beginning.




Comments